What is Local SEO?
Get your business found online with local SEO!
What is local SEO vs SEO?
Improves visibility by optimizing a site for certain keywords or phrases that are likely to be used by potential customers in search engines. Local SEO, on the other hand, focuses on optimizing a site for local customers, using location-based keywords and other techniques. This can be especially important for businesses with a physical location, as it can help them attract customers who are looking for a business in their area.
Is a practice that helps businesses focus on optimizing their website and digital marketing strategies for local customers. The goal of local SEO is to improve the visibility of a business’s website among people in a specific geographic area. This can be done through techniques such as optimizing the site for local search results, building citations and links from other local websites, and promoting the business through social media and other online channels.
- Local and Traditional SEO strategies have the same end goal of improving your ranking on online search engines. However, there are significant differences between the two in both their specific goals and techniques.
- In terms of goals, regular SEO aims to improve your site's visibility on a global scale
- Solocal SEO is laser-focused on improving your visibility in your own local search territory.
- However, there are significant differences between the two in both their specific goals and techniques.
While Local and Traditional SEO have many strategies and techniques in common, local SEO has many specialised techniques that are unique to it. For example, both local SEO as well as regular SEO strategies involve improving the quality of the content on your website and getting backlinks from other more authoritative websites.
Meanwhile, here's something that's unique to local SEO strategies. A key component of all local SEO strategies is to aim for and target keywords related to your local area such as your state, city or town.
How to learn local SEO
Local SEO has many benefits to websites and businesses. Some of these benefits are shared with regular traditional SEO while some of them are perks that only apply to local .
As mentioned earlier, local SEO makes it easier for small businesses to get higher rankings since it's niched down and there's less competition. You'll be able to improve your website and your business's online visibility easier than if you were using regular SEO. You'll be much more likely to get into the top search results of your local area compared to the top results of your business in general.
Aside from that, you'll get higher quality views and traffic on your website with local SEO. This is because if searchers are looking for your business in your specific area, they'll be much more likely to visit your business and become a paying customer. If your business is one that depends on in-person visits, local SEO is great because it's a tool that can greatly increase the amount of people who physically visit your store.
Another perk of using local SEO is that it makes your website and business more authoritative as well as trustworthy. Potential customers will automatically trust your website more if you rank highly on their Google search. Local SEO will help you get a top spot on the results page much easier than using regular SEO strategies.
Who wins with Local SEO?
Both consumers and businesses benefit from local SEO. When local SEO works well, the consumer who's looking for something specific in a specific area as well as the business that's in the area benefit immensely.
Local SEO helps consumers:
find businesses that fit their exact needs.
find services they need in the exact area they need.
find services they need in the area closest to them.
How Businesses benefit from local SEO
getting more eyes on their website. More people become aware of the business and what the business has to offer.
booking more calls and get more customers. Since it's easier to find the business, more people will know about it and more people will become paying customers.
helps businesses generate more profits. Since the business gets more paying customers, there will definitely be much higher profits for the business.
How does local SEO help your business?
Local SEO helps your business get more paying customers. That's a bold and general claim so let's get into specifics.
As mentioned earlier in the article, local SEO and regular SEO share some techniques that overlap with each other. However, there's a huge variety of techniques that are exclusive to local SEO. There are numerous specialized techniques you need to implement in order to do well with local SEO.
A few examples of techniques shared between local SEO and regular SEO are:
- Doing on-page optimization such as improving your website’s content so that there's only high quality content available on your website.
- Doing keyword research and targeting relevant keywords for your website.
- Improving your website's domain authority using backlinks.
What is included?
Local SEO includes various techniques to make your website easier to find in searches that involve your local area. Local SEO can improve your online presence regardless if your website is just a local landing page or if you’re a full fledged website with an active blog and everything.
- Optimising your meta description to target a specific local audience.
- Answering frequently asked questions that are related to your local area.
- Putting your business up online online directories and every local business directory possible.
- Link building with local SEO in mind.
Here’s an often overlooked aspect of local SEO; making sure your business shows up on every possible online directory and map. It’s not enough to just be on Google Maps! You’ve got to show up on Apple Maps, Foursquare and even Bing Places.
Get on the Yellow Pages while you’re at it!
Local SEO Blogging?
Local SEO blogging is basically blogging with particular emphasis on a specific local area. Blogging this way helps with your local SEO in two main ways:
- You come up in more searches related to your local area. When people search for topics related to your location, you’ll show up on their SERPs.
- You establish your website's authority by having more content. The more localized content you have, the more authority you'll have in that particular area.
Here are a few examples of what local SEO blog articles would look like:
- Top 10 things to do in Austin, Texas.
- What’s the best local dish in Dallas?
- How do I make sure I don’t get lost in New York City?
- 7 reasons you should spend your next vacation in San Francisco.
- What’s there to do in Washington, DC?
Local keyword search strategy?
A local keyword search strategy is a way of targeting your advertising to people who are physically close to your business. This can be done by including keywords like "near me" or "local" in your ads. You can also target people based on their location by using the Google AdWords location targeting tool.You are pinpointing keywords that are related to your location with the intent of getting to the first page on local search results.
There are two main strategies:
- How will you find local keywords?
- How do you choose the best local keywords for your business?
Different local SEO specialists have different strategies but their strategies will usually center around those two points. Figure out how to do those two things and you've got a local keyword strategy.
How produce good content?
While there are many tips, tricks and hacks to perform well with local content, there's a fundamental principle you must always stand by.
Your website content must always be high-quality.
What does high-quality content look like? Here's some general criteria for what Google defines as high-quality content.
- Content that isn't thin.
- This means that you have a word count that isn't too low. The best word count of your posts depends but 800 to 3000 words is usually best.
- Content that has high-quality and relevant images. Google ranks pages with high-quality images better than pages that don’t have any images. Also, you’ll show up on Google Images if your images are relevant to what the local searchers are looking for.
- Content that's both backlinked and has internal links. Inbound links from other websites are extremely important for SEO.
If you follow the above advice, you’re well on your way to ranking high on local SERPs.
Small businesses needs local SEO because
There's one big reason that SEO is important for small businesses. It's to get more eyes on your business and therefore get more customers.
When you're trying to rank your website and business on Google, you're going up against countless other much larger businesses and websites. Rather than going up against massive corporations, small businesses would be much better off aiming for niched down, local searches.
For example, if you're trying to rank your shop selling toiletries on Google you'll be going up against massive players and will likely rank very low against them. If you try to rank your business in your local area however, you'll fare much better.
You'll have trouble ranking for a search looking for soap shops. You'll rank high for searches that look like "soap shops in my area" or "soap shops in Austin, Texas".
Here's how local SEO can help any business:
- helps your business get more eyes on it. It'll help more potential customers find your website and know about what it is that your business has to offer.
- can help you get more foot traffic and book more sales calls. People will be able to find your business easily if you implement local SEO strategies and you'll therefore get more visits as well as more calls that could all potentially lead to more paid business.
- will help your business generate more profits. When potential customers can find your website and your business easier, you'll definitely be able to close more deals. And the more deals you close, the more profits you'll make.
- will help you get repeat customers. Local SEO is incredible at helping businesses get repeat customers because once a local customer does business at a local business, the chances of that customer coming again are incredibly high. You just need to get them to do business with you one time, do a great job for them and then you'll have a return customer for a long time to come. Local SEO will help you get them for the first time.
- helps build a healthy community. This might seem a bit far-fetched but it's true. Local SEO can build a healthy community by linking up local customers with local businesses as well as local businesses with other local businesses. This will help build a healthy local economy and a healthy local economy is a vital part of a healthy community.
How do you rank higher locally?
You can rank higher locally by improving your local SEO. There are many ranking factors that contribute to how well you rank on local searches that require time and patience in order for you to properly understand.
It’ll take some time till you get a deeper, better understanding on the topic, Until then, here's some simple steps you can take to improve your local rankings right away:
- Make a Google My Business account.
Before anything, make a Google My Business account and optimize your Google listing. Doing this is a simple way to become easier to find on Google Maps and appear more often on local search results.
- Make sure your website is optimised for mobile.
This may seem like a general SEO tip but there's logic behind this one. Many people looking for a local business to go to right in the moment are going to do that using their cellphone. By optimising your website for mobile, you're optimising it for your potential customers who are looking for help ASAP.
- Create content based around your location.
Does your website have a blog? Are your blog posts mostly generalist posts that could be featured on any other website around the world? Fix that by writing content that's based around your local area to rank higher locally.
- Get as many positive reviews as possible.
Getting good reviews from happy customers is great for your business in general but it also helps improve your GMB presence and improve your local SEO. Show off your positive reviews on your site and link back to as many review sites as you can!
- Make use of online business directories.
Online business directories like Foursquare, Yelp and YellowPages are extremely useful for local SEO. They not only help with getting eyes on your business, they also can help you get valuable backlinks to your website.
If you haven't done any of the above, go and do them right away! These are some simple DIY steps you can take to get a decent foothold on local search queries online. You can do the above five steps reasonably quickly and you'll get some decent results from them.
Strategy for local SEO?
Here's some of the basics to start ranking today
- Write content that's high-quality local content that’s focused on your local area. This involves writing area-specific webcopy and writing locally targeted blog posts.
- Make use of online reviews on local review sites. Get reviews for your website and business posted on as many local review sites as possible. Make sure they're all glowing reviews of your business that are as great as reasonably possible.
- Put up your relevant information on your website and local directories. This means your business name, physical location, contact information, and any other relevant contact information. If possible, it's best that your business has your location in the business name.
Here's a few examples of specialized techniques that work for local SEO.
- Getting customer reviews for your business and website on various local review sites.
- Writing niched down, localized content and using area-specific webcopy.
- Putting up relevant information on your website and local directories (business name, business owners, address, opening hours, phone number, etc.)
Are you doing enough SEO Locally?
You should do local SEO if you're serious about getting more eyes on your business in order to get more customers and more sales. You should especially use local SEO if you're a business that especially depends on local customers for business.
If your business falls into one of the following business categories, local SEO is definitely a great fit for you:
- A franchise. Franchises always have multiple locations so niching down and focusing on your specific location with local SEO will definitely bring in more customers to your business.
- A home and repair business like a plumbing business. Home and repair businesses are dependent on their local audience so being at the top of local search results will definitely help increase the number of customers that come in the door.
- A local restaurant that doesn’t offer takeout services. If you’re a local fine-dining establishment, you probably don’t have a takeout menu. This means you live and die by how many customers you can get into your physical location. Being on the first page of your local search results will make sure you don’t go out of business.
Local SEO is also extremely suited for businesses such as heavy equipment businesses, legal businesses, real estate businesses, health businesses and many others. Basically, if you need customers to show up at your physical location, local SEO will be good for you.
A citation is a mention of key business information, such as a name, address, and phone number, on a website or other online resource. Citations help improve local SEO because they provide context and additional information about businesses to search engines. When businesses are accurately cited across the web, it can help them rank higher in local search results.
What are the top free SEO tools?
There are a variety of local SEO tools available to help make implementing local SEO strategies easier as well as more effective. If you’re just starting out with local SEO, you should get your feet wet with free tools before trying anything that’s too costly. That’s not to say free tools are inferior to paid tools. Some SEO experts swear by free tools!
Some of the best free local SEO tools available right now are:
Postamatic is a free tool that helps you make and publish Google My Business posts easily. When you’re doing your best to up your local SEO game, GMB is vital. Postamatic makes doing that a snap.
PlePer Local SEO Tools Chrome Extension
PlePer Local SEO Tools Chrome Extension has many features that will help you research and gain inspiration from your competitor’s GMB listings. This tool is helpful when you want to know what your local competition is like and when you’re planning out how you can improve your own GMB listings.
BrightLocal Google ID and Link Generator
BrightLocal Google ID and Link Generator is a tool that helps you find pretty much any local business that has a physical address. You’ll be able to get GMB review links, Google Maps and Google Posts results in an instant with this free tool.
Georanker is a useful tool for maintaining and improving your website’s local ranking. This tool tracks the ranking of your site on multiple locations around the world. This information is extremely valuable when you’re making plans to improve your local search rankings.
Yext helps integrate with third-party review sites so that you can keep track of every review about your business on one dashboard. This makes it easy to respond to and make note of every customer review that comes your way.
How do you get started with local SEO?
After reading this article, you can get started with local SEO by following the advice and techniques given above. Some simple adjustments to your website can bring decent results with local SEO. However, getting great results requires more practice and experience.
You can try your own hand at doing local SEO or you can hire a specialist to handle it. While handling local SEO yourself is tempting for cost reasons, it's something that's better left to a search engine marketing expert unless you're willing to put some serious time and effort into doing it properly.
A Local SEO company?
A local SEO company is a company or agency that specialises in implementing local SEO strategies. They can help you do everything involving local SEO from scratch or they can help you improve on the local SEO that you've already done. You should only consult with local SEO companies that have a proven track record with happy clients or at the very least, a decent case study to show.
SEO specialist do
A local SEO specialist helps to optimise your website for local SEO. They help searchers looking for businesses in your local area find your business. Local SEO specialists are just that; they're professionals at SEO that focus on and are specialised in local SEO.
An all-in-one SEO professional is tempting but if all you really want is someone to improve your local SEO, a local SEO specialist is best. Local SEO pricing is reasonable considering how much it can improve your business.
Local SEO for small businesses?
Local SEO is a way for local businesses to get more eyes on their businesses by targeting local searchers. More eyes on a business means more customers. And more customers means more profit.
Local SEO for local businesses can be the ultimate tool to grow their businesses at explosive, exponential rates. It can also just be a tool that brings in maybe 20% more customers into your shop.
Either way, local SEO is extremely useful for local businesses.
Which company is the best local SEO company in the nation?
Market's Target is a local SEO marketing agency based in Irving, Texas. With numerous positive reviews and countless satisfied customers, it's safe to say that we're one of the leading local SEO companies in this great state of America. In fact, we're probably one of the greatest local SEO companies in the nation.
Do you want to see if we'd be a good fit for your local SEO needs? Book a consultation with us and we’ll see if we can work together today!